Jen Kehl at My Skewed View and Kristi at Finding Ninee host Twisted MixTape Tuesday, a blog hop that’s all about music. The premise is to create a five song mix based on the week’s theme. (You can click on the button above if you’d like to play along). Here’s Jen’s instructions for today’s topic:
A mix to Get Motivated. Whether it’s to workout, write or just get out of bed. Mix it up!
The bloggers of Twisted Mixtape Tuesday took a trip through the decades for our topics last summer and for one of my weeks covering the 1990’s, I mixed songs from that decade that I use to motivate me at the gym, called Angry White Girl Gym Music. The gym is about the only time that I specifically play music to motivate me, instead of hearing a song then becoming motivated. Subtle difference, but it makes it kind of tough to narrow down this topic. So I’m sticking with my gym music for this mixtape as well.
What do I look for when adding to my gym playlists? Its all about the beat baby and if I can find music that matches my pace on the treadmill, I don’t even notice the time passing or how much my legs feel like spaghetti. Forget the lyrics, they could be singing Mary Had a Little Lamb because when the drums and the guitars echo my pace and the beat of my heart, I go to my happy place, until I hear something unexpected and get shocked awake, then trip, fall flat on my face and get catapulted off the back of the treadmill. Yeah, that’s happened.
1. Space Lord – Monster Magnet. Love this song for my warm-up.
2. You – Candlebox. Another great one while warming up. This band is responsible for one of my favorite songs (Far Behind) and is astonishingly underrated.
3. Would? – Alice in Chains.
4. Siva – Smashing Pumpkins.
5. Wake Up – Rage Against the Machine. There are two bands that make up the bulk of my gym music, Disturbed and RATM. Since I included a Disturbed song on the original mixtape, I’ll let Rage have a spot in this one.