Jen Kehl at My Skewed View and Kristi at Finding Ninee host Twisted MixTape Tuesday, a blog hop that’s all about music. The premise is to create a five song mix based on the week’s theme. (You can click on the button above if you’d like to play along).
Jen is letting the inmates run the asylum today and giving us another free-for-all week. This means you are at the mercy of the theme I choose!! Be afraid.
No, don’t be afraid because I’d never torture anyone with music. With all my recent medical issues, my soul has been a bit tortured though and its shown in the playlists I’ve been listening to lately. There’s one in particular that has some particularly maudlin and/or haunting music on it that I’ve been obsessed with and played it frequently. Often, several times a day.
I selected my top five favorites from that playlist. They aren’t really earworms because I think they’re actually good songs, but I need to purge this insatiable desire to listen to them constantly. I’m hoping by using them in this week’s mixtape, I can exorcise these musical demons and get back to being my usual rocker self.
1. The Mercy Seat – Nick Cave. I love the intensity of the acoustic version. It also now hits me that this would have been a great one for the Spiritual song week.
2. I Want You – Elvis Costello. The emotion in his voice really comes through and has a way of making his pain so very beautiful.
3. Done Wrong – Ani DiFranco. Everything about this song is just simply stunning. I ran across it when I was looking for a particular song for the week we picked songs that helped make us the people we are. It didn’t fit that theme, but I’ve been infatuated with it ever since.
4. Winter Song – Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson. I found this song so haunting, even before they started using it in the American Horror Story: Coven promos. But it was because of those that its been echoing around in my head the past month.
5. Symphony 6 Fare Thee Well & the Requiem Mix – Emily Wells. Another haunting melody that’s so far outside my normal listening zone that it even surprises me that I listen to it.