The last few weeks, I’ve been joining in with the Saturday 9 meme, hosted by CrazySam. Here’s her instructions:
Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we’ve committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do “random questions,” so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don’t have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today’s meme!
Thanks to AuntieM4Cabs for recommending the Buffett theme.
2) This song is about a performer who is “heading up to San Francisco for the Labor Day weekend show.” When you think of San Francisco, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? Since I’ve never been, the first thing I think of is the Golden Gate Bridge, the only “landmark” I know of in those parts.
3) As he sings, Buffett tells us he’s wearing Hush Puppies casual shoes. What’s on your feet as you answer these nine questions? Nothing. Unless its winter, I’m usually barefoot in the house.
4) So many Jimmy Buffett songs take place on or around the water. When was the last time you were on a boat? About 3 years ago when my parents and I took my son on a dolphin cruise around the Riverfront, salt marshes and islands around Savannah.
5) Everyone knows Jimmy Buffett can write music, but he also has more than half a dozen books to his credit. What’s the last book you read? I’m in the process of reading Everybody Loves Our Town by Mark Yarm. Its about the origins of the grunge music sub-culture in the Seattle area, passed on by the people that were actually a part of it. (Thanks for the recommendation Lance!)
6) Jimmy’s persona is that of a simple beach bum, but in reality he’s a conglomerate, with his own beverage company, more than a dozen restaurants and a couple hotels. He’s so successful he has several homes, including a luxury mansion in the Hamptons! If you, like Buffett, could just take off and spend Labor Day weekend anywhere, where would you go? Who would you take along? I’m perfectly happy staying at home, preferably alone, just to enjoy the weekend without the regular day-to-day demands of family.
7) This weekend may offer a golden opportunity for napping and sleeping in. Do you snore? No one has ever mentioned it. I do grind my teeth though.
8) Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the achievements of the American worker. Yet this Recession has taken its toll on many of us laborers. Sam’s brother, a movie projectionist, hasn’t worked full-time in his chosen profession in more than a year. Is anyone close to you struggling with unemployment or underemployment? (If so, they are in our thoughts this weekend, too.) Yes, quite a few of my husband’s friends and co-workers have been laid-off in the past two years. Its a constant source of stress for me that my husband could be next.
9) Onto something happier … Labor Day traditionally marks the beginning of the new school year. When she was a kid, Samantha was crazy for her brand new box of 96 Crayola Crayons. It even had a sharpener in the back! What do you remember about preparing to go back to school? If you’re a parent with schoolage kids, are they ready? When I was a kid, I remember the mad rush after the first day of school to get to a store that had our supplies still in stock. They were already pre-packaged in some type of sealed plastic and you didn’t get to pick your own colors for notebooks and such. Getting a “yucky” color could tank your popularity with the other kids. My son has already been in school for three weeks and they gave their supply lists at the end of last school year, so we were ready.