Jen Kehl at My Skewed View and Kristi at Finding Ninee host Twisted MixTape Tuesday, a blog hop that’s all about music. The premise is to create a five song mix based on the week’s theme. (You can click on the button above if you’d like to play along).
Here’s Jen’s instructions for today’s topic: If you were going to make a mix for a friend in the Nineties, what would it contain? This is NOT a best of. This is If You Were You, in the 90′s, and You Were Making A Mix Tape For A Friend (on any topic) What Would It Be?
Before I get into the “meat” of this post, let me warn you up front…the language in this post, in the songs’ lyrics and the material featured in the videos is most definitely NSFW…Not Safe for Work, or small children, or pets, or house plants, or anyone easily offended by language or controversial subject matters. You’ve been warned. Proceed at your own risk.
Its hard to believe that music from the 90’s is at least 13-22 years old. But its my go-to music for putting my “bitch-face” on while working out and especially the monotonous hours each week I spend on cardio machines. Step-step-step-step-step-step…and so on. Without further ado, this week’s 90’s Part 2 theme is my must-haves in Gym Music.
1. Sober – Tool (1993). I usually start off on the treadmill to this one as a warm-up. It gets me in that snarly mood I need for the brutal, sweaty hour to follow. I realize I used Tool in last week’s 90’s Part 1 also, but they’re just that damn good. And this is one of my favorite 90’s songs. And its my blog. So suck it. (See, angry mood).
2. Machinehead – Bush (1996). More angry music with a great beat.
3. Stupify – Disturbed (recorded 1999). Okay, I’m taking license (cheating) with this one. It was recorded in late 1999, but not released until 2000, but I’m counting it as part of my 90’s line-up because its another one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands and also because it probably won’t fit in with next week’s theme. So, I’m pretending I got a bootleg copy of it before it was released and its such a kickass tune that I have to share it on my friend’s mixtape. I’m such a rebel. The original version of this song is amazing as is, but I came across a remix with a little bit of techno thrown in that is great for my workouts.
4. Bawitdaba – Kid Rock (1999). I mentioned in one of my previous MixTapes from the 80’s that I developed an obsession for meshing rock and rap, so I had to include some early Kid Rock. Gotta love the man that made it cool to be white trash partying with hookers and blow.
5. Break Stuff – Limp Bizkit (1999). Here’s another one that was recorded, played live, video aired and won awards in 1999 before the song was ever released in 2000, so I’m including it. I’m not a Limp Bizkit fan in general, but I do love this song.
Firestarter – The Prodigy (1996). Not quite in the same genre as my other choices, but its the most motivational song when I’m ready to go full-out, beyond my limits.